The Bronx Blogger

Thursday, October 27, 2005

I Support the Miers Nomination

President Bush nominated Harriet Miers to be Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court a few weeks ago.

On October 6th, I put up a post in response to Peggy Noonan of the Wall Street Journal. Since then, I haven't blogged about it, but I have left several comments on various blogs that have been supportive of Ms. Miers nomination.

"The truth laid bear" website launched a blog poll the other day which has been tallying up a couple of hundred bloggers' positions on the Miers nomination: pro, con, or neutral. I had been technically neutral, but leaning heavily towards pro. But now I have decided to cast my vote: I support the Miers nomination.

I don't have time to explain my decision fully right now, so I will have to post an update. But in brief, I feel that Ms. Miers is currently undergoing a kind of pundit/blog lynching that cannot be reasonably justified. I'm still not a hundred percent comfortable with Ms. Miers (more on that later), but I have finally seen enough to convince me that she deserves my support and the support of most people who would generally align themselves with President Bush politically.